If you were worried that the pina colada was only for beach vacations, rest easy. The pina colada is alive and well no matter where you find yourself this summer – beach or not – and is, in fact, even celebrated with its own day.
For those of you not in the know, July 10th is National Pina Colada Day. I urge you to celebrate with a pina colada or maybe just make these pina colada cupcakes and a coconut buttercream frosting. In honor of National Pina Colada Day, the Sunday Supper family has put together an amazing assortment of recipes featuring coconut. These cupcakes are one of our house favorites. Coconut and pineapple, how can you go wrong?
I love to let my kids cook in the kitchen and one of their favorite things to make is dessert! Who can blame them? Apple. Tree. While they love to look through cookbooks and recipes, it’s also nice to have some easy peasy cake mixes in the pantry so they can experience instant, foolproof, dessert gratification.
The beauty of these pina colada cupcakes is that it starts with a Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix. Add a few key pina colada ingredients and you can have these yummy cupcakes in about half an hour.
Baby K turned 18 months this weekend – what better reason to make cupcakes? These cupcakes were rich and moist and full of pina colada coconut and pineapple flavors. You don’t need a half birthday celebration to make cupcakes, but it definitely seems to be a family tradition here that all my kids enjoy.
Pina Colada Cupcakes and Coconut Buttercream Frosting #SundaySupper
For the cupcakes
- 1 Betty Crocker gluten-free yellow cake mix
- 1/4 c crushed pineapple
- 1/4 c pineapple juice
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 1/2 c butter , softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 c shredded coconut
For the frosting
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 c butter , softened
- 4 T coconut milk
- 2 T pineapple juice
- 1 c shredded coconut plus a little extra
- 1/4 c crushed pineapple + more for garnish
For the cake ... combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine and then beat for 2 minutes on medium. Pour into 18 - 24 greased or lined muffin tins. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
For the frosting ... Combine ingredients (except coconut) in a stand mixer. Mix. Add more confectioners sugar if the frosting isn't thick enough. Stir in coconut. Spoon or pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top with additional crushed pineapple.
Check out the rest of the Sunday Supper recipes for more coconut ideas!
- Gluten Free Coconut French Toast by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Make Ahead Healthy Piña Colada Breakfast Parfait by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Piña Colada Granola (grain free) by My Life Cookbook
- Piña Colada Nut Bread by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Piña Colada Overnight Oats by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Piña Colada Pancakes by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Dive in with Sides and Appetizers
- Coconut Shrimp with Piña Colada Sauce by From Gate to Plate
- Easy Piña Colada Salad by April Golightly
- Piña Colada Coleslaw by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Coco-Nutty Main Dishes
- Chickpea Potato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- Coconut Shrimp with Piña Colada Sauce by Feeding Big and more
- Piña Colada Chicken and Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Piña Colada Chicken Skewers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Barbecue Chops with Colada Slaw by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow cooker Pineapple Chicken Curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coconut Pound Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookies and Coconut Cream Popsicles by Books n’ Cooks
- Creamy Dairy-Free Vegan Coconut Ice Cream by Positively Stacey
- Easy Piña Colada Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Piña Colada Poke Cake by Crazed Mom
- Homemade Samoas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- How to make a Piña Colada Flan by Asian In America
- Island Breeze Piña Colada Panna Cotta by The Weekend Gourmet
- Kheer by What Smells So Good?
- Mini Roasted Blueberry and Coconut Cream Trifles by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Piña Colada Bars by Dessert Geek
- Piña Colada Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Piña Colada Cupcakes by The Redhead Baker
- Piña Colada Energy Balls by Wholistic Woman
- Piña Colada Ice Cream by Palatable Pastime
- Piña Colada Rice Pudding by Hardly A Goddess
- Piña Colada Trifle by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Piña Colada Tropical Fruit Cups with Coconut Yogurt Dip by The Hungry Goddess
- Piña Colada Upside Down Cake by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pineapple Coconut Pudding by Magnolia Days
- Samoa Smacky Delicious Mix by Cooking With Carlee
- Toasted Coconut Sour Cherry Sundae by Pies and Plots
- Tropical Fruit Cups by The Freshman Cook
Sweet to Sip Beverages
- Boozy Coconut & Caramel Milkshakes by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Piña Colada by The Chef Next Door
- Coconut Banana Rum Smoothie by Desserts Required
- Coquito by Monica’s Table
- Lime Coconut Lassi by Food Lust People Love
- Piña Colada Agua Fresca by Simply Healthy Family
- Piña Colada Freeze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Piña Colada Smoothie by A Mind Full Mom
- Spiced Piña Colada by Family Around the Table
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.