Believe it or not, I learned this recipe from my grandmother. For those of you that knew my grandmother, a Mexican casserole would probably be the last thing you would imagine her making. Alas, here is the recipe and it is good! And easy … and gluten free … In this house, those three things trump all else.
12 corn tortillas
About 1 pound diced chicken breast
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 large jar salsa
large can corn
1 cup sour cream
2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
1. Cook chicken, garlic, onion and pepper in a little bit of oil until the chicken is cooked.
2. Add salsa and corn – heat through.
3. Mix the sour cream and 1 1/2 cups of cheese together. Set aside.
4. Layer 4 tortillas over the bottom of a greased deep dish pie pan.
5. Spoon 1/2 the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
6. Spoon 1/2 the sour cream mixture over the chicken.
7. Layer 4 tortillas over the sour cream mixture.
8. Repeat with the remaining chicken and sour cream cheese mixtures.
9. Cover with four tortillas. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
10. Cook at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. (You can cover with foil for the first 30 minutes.)