French toast is one of our favorite Sunday morning breakfast treats. The best part is that it is so easy to make with just a few ingredients – all you need is eggs, milk, and bread. Any bread will do – we are big fans of the cinnamon chip bread made by our local bakery – Great Harvest Bread Company. We are lucky enough that they also make a gluten-free version. Delicious!
|Cinnamon Chip Bread|
The following recipe uses almost one loaf of cinnamon chip bread – about 12 to 15 slices or so. We spike our batter with a little cognac – I think any orange liqueur adds a nice touch in the morning. Growing up, my family always used the basic Joy of Cooking french toast recipe – 4 eggs, 1 cup of milk, a dash of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. This version isn’t much different.
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or another orange flavored liqueur
Sliced bread … approximately 12 slices – maybe more
1. Whisk together the eggs and milk. Add in the liqueur (or a splash of vanilla extract).
|Eggs, milk, and cognac|
2. Heat your griddle over medium high heat, melt a little bit of butter and keep some nearby to add more butter as needed.
3. Dip your bread, one piece at a time, in the egg mixture, let the excess drip back into the bowl and place your bread on the hot griddle. You should be able to cook four slices of bread at a time on a standard square griddle pan.
|Tongs are so handy for dipping the bread|
|Cook for a few minutes|
4. Let the bread cook for about 3 minutes and then flip the bread to cook the other side for about 2 to 3 minutes. When the bread resembles beautiful french toast, remove from heat.
|Turn the bread and cook for a few more minutes|
5. Add more butter if necessary in between batches. Cook remaining pieces of toast. Serve with a little bit of maple syrup and powdered sugar.
Keeping it warm … if you are serving a crowd, set a baking dish in a 250 degree oven and add the french toast to the baking dish as you cook and then serve your family all at once – if you can hold them off!
|Yum! Sunday morning french toast with strawberries and fresh whipped cream.|