This is another ridiculously easy recipe that you can make ahead and eat for just about any meal. We had one slice leftover from dinner and my son *begged* me to save it so he could take it to school for lunch. It’s simple and delicious! We have been getting a lot of greens from our farmers and they get eaten just as quickly as they come in. They are so versatile! You can saute or steam them and eat them on their own or toss them into grits or rice to add an extra veggie punch. We had a combination of greens on hand and some mushrooms as well – a perfect combination to cook up together and use in a quiche.
|Rinsed collard greens – no stems|
1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil
About 1/2 lb of fresh spinach or collard greens, washed and sliced into strips
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
A handful of mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of shredded cheese (I shredded about a 1/2 of a block of monterey jack)
1 cup of milk (I used 2 %)
|Ready to saute …|
1. Saute onions and garlic and mushrooms in the olive oil with a little bit of salt. You want the onions to be very soft – you can cook them until they caramelize but that will take almost 20 minutes.
2. Add the chopped spinach or collard greens. You can cook them right with the onions and mushrooms to save a pan or cook them separately. Stir so that the greens wilt into the onions and mushrooms.
3. Spread the cooked mushrooms, onions, and spinach in the bottom of a lightly greased deep dish pie pan.
|Cabot Monterey Jack – in the freezer|
4. Shred about 1 cup or so of cheese over the spinach mixture. (**Our cheese trick … put your cheese in the freezer while you prepare other ingredients to make it easier to shred.)
5. Whisk together 5 eggs and 1 cup of milk. Pour over spinach, mushrooms, and cheese.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes.
7. Reduce the heat to 350 and cook for another 45 minutes to an hour. You want your crustless quiche to be firm to the touch – not jiggly.
8. Let cool for at least 15 minutes – or even the afternoon or overnight.
We served ours with fresh cut fruit for dinner. So easy! Enjoy!