Flourless Chocolate Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour an 8 1/2 in. springform pan.
2. Chop 9 oz. bittersweet chocolate and put in a heat proof bowl.
3. In a small saucepan combine 3/4 c. sugar and 1/2 c. water to a rolling boil. Pour 1/2 of the hot syrup over chocolate and whisk gently. Whisk in the rest until sauce is shiny and thick.
4. Whisk in 3 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk, one at a time. Whisk in 1/8 t. salt and 1 t. vanilla. Add 1 and 1/2 sticks butter, 1 T. at a time.
5. Scrape the batter into the pan. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until the center is set and the top has developed a thin crust. Cool for 1 hour.