If you are Catholic, Fridays during Lent mean FISH. When I was growing up, fish on Friday meant baked haddock. Every week. These days, my dad is getting a little fancy with his fish … the following recipe is simple, easy, and DELICIOUS!
Cod Simmered in Tomatoes and Spinach
1 – 2 pounds cod, cut into a few serving size pieces
3 T. olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
1 can diced tomatoes (or 5 or 6 plum tomatoes, diced)
1 t. sugar
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
red pepper flakes – a quick shake (optional)
2 c. fresh spinach, wash and remove stem
1. Sprinkle cod with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In medium skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and basil, and a little salt and pepper.
3. Add garlic, chopped tomatoes, sugar, parsley, red pepper flakes. Cook about 8 minutes on medium until sauce is thickened.
4. Place the cod in the tomato sauce, spooning sauce over fish.
5. Cook 8 to 10 minutes until fish is white.
6. Place spinach on top of the fish and cover. Cook until spinach has wilted over the cod – about 2 minutes.
Serve over rice. To make a good rice for this dish … saute 3 cloves garlic in 1 T. butter, add 1 1/2 c. jasmine rice and 1 chicken bouillon cube, add 3 c. water. Bring to a boil. Return to low and cook for 20 minutes.